Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 11, 2012

An Unexpected Journey

     The movie, "The Hobbit" comes out December 14 and I am very excited because its part of the Lord of the Rings, which is my favorite movie. I am reading the book right now because I want to see how it compares to the movie. Anyways, I haven't gotten very far in the book because I am really trying to enjoy each part, each character, and the journey itself.  The first page of the book was so descriptive and I already feel as though I am a part of the adventure! The more I read the more I realize how we are all on our own adventure in this life. We get so caught up in the busyness of everything that we rarely see life as an adventure. It usually seen as more of a chore and we seem to spend time wishing we could either go back in time or make it to the next weekend. We never really live fully in the moment. 
     I can identify with Bilbo Baggins more than I ever thought I would. I, like him, am living all comfortable in my little hobbit-hole drinking tea and sitting by the fire. I know exactly what will happen at what time and I am completely predictable. Then along comes Gandalf unexpectedly into Bilbo's cozy abode talking of adventures.  Stunned and confused, Bilbo hurries him off not even realizing that Gandalf has chosen him for a greater task. Whether he wants it or not, he is getting ready for something big. (God does this to me daily and probably giggles at my surprise when he shows up!)  Bilbo comes from a lineage known as the Took clan. Every once in a while someone from that lineage randomly does the unimaginable and has an adventure which goes against everything a hobbit stands for. His first reaction to Gandalf's invitation is that he has no need for an adventure, but something stirs inside him because of his lineage that makes him suddenly feel brave and prepared for a journey. My first reaction to God's invitation is to stay comfortable in my hobbit-hole as well. Then something stirs inside me...something from my lineage as a child of the King. Something that makes me want to do brave, exciting things. Something that makes me ready for the next adventure at the drop of a hat. I want to live my life in a big way...are you up for an adventure?

No comments:

Post a Comment